Software Engineer (Java)
COVID-Remote (Client operates on Eastern Standard Time Core Business hours)
US Citizenship/Green Card Required
The Canton Group is a privately held family owned and operated company with over a 23-year track record of delivering award-winning web sites, software and digital solutions to Fortune 500 organizations, non-profit, State and Federal Government Entities. Located in the trendy waterfront neighborhood of Canton, Baltimore, we are part of a thriving residential and business community with numerous shops, restaurants, parks and other amenities.
We are seeking a detail oriented, passionate, and dedicated Java Developer to join our team. Qualified candidates must be able to communicate and collaborate with a team of highly talented technicians and occasionally interact with the client.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
You will be providing new development and production support to existing Enterprise-wide Java applications. The initial and main project(s) involve supporting one of our state government contracts and would involve fixing/troubleshooting issues in Java applications and writing SQL based queries. You will be involved in developing, testing, debugging integrating and implementing custom Java and Spring MVC based applications. You will work and collaborate on a team of project managers, business analysts, developers/engineers, database administrators, and QA staff within an AGILE development environment. As a crucial member of our team, you will also be expected to interface with client representatives.
- Translate application storyboards and use cases into functional applications
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Java code
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of the applications
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
- Must be able to meet project deadlines and milestones while producing high quality work.
- Must display a superior ability to communicate with co-workers for innovation purposes; clients for quality control and customer satisfaction purposes.
- Proficient in Java, with a good knowledge of its ecosystems
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
- Very Proficient with Git versioning tool; Gitflow experience is preferred
- Familiarity with build tools such as Ant or Maven
- Familiar with various design and architectural patterns
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, JDBC, and RESTful
- Familiarity with Java based web development; framework is custom (UI and ORM) but having Spring background is great!
- Working knowledge of writing JSP pages
- Familiarity with application servers like Weblogic and JBoss (Wildfly)
- Experience of working on B2B tools such as IBM Data-Power
- Knack for writing clean, readable Java code
- Experience with relational databases (i.e. DB2) and SQL query development
- Understanding fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Basic understanding of the class loading mechanism in Java
- Creating database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Willingness to learn custom framework currently in use for user interface and object relational mapping
The Canton Group is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you need assistance or an accommodation with your application due to a disability, you may contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at 410-675-5708
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or other related scientific or technical discipline or three (3) years of equivalent experience in a related field. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Must have eight (8) years of programming experience in software development or maintenance.
- Must have five (5) years of experience in IT systems analysis and programming.